The Associate Director, Payroll & Stock Administration is a globally oriented position which has direct management responsibility for a for the service delivery of North American payroll and global equity administration. This person will work cross-functionally with HR, Legal and our payroll and stock team in our European Financial Shared Service Center (EFSSC). The person hired will play a pivotal role in developing the global shared service strategy and guiding process improvement and systems initiatives needed to enable us to scale globally while and managing centrally.
- Own and manage the daily North America payroll operations and global equity administration functions incorporating accuracy, timeliness, customer service and compliance
- Oversee managed service provider activities across payroll and stock administration, ensuring adherence to service levels, internal policies and procedures, and external regulation, while focusing on achieving cost effectiveness and strong customer service
- Manage the department budget for the payroll/stock function, including optimization of outside service costs and company service levels
- Drive innovative solutions and lead the continuous improvement in accuracy, efficiency and service levels to ensure readiness for continued growth
- Engage the business to proactively identify needs, which may lead to selection of new providers and drive the selection process when directly related to the payroll or stock administration areas
- Contribute to the design of global payroll strategy including future state operating model, best practices, standard policies and procedures, governance, and roles/responsibilities
- Develop the strategy for and team capabilities around self-service reporting and data analysis
- Uphold a strong internal controls environment, as required by Sarbanes Oxley, by designing and maintaining effective controls and procedures, ensuring compliance, monitoring audit findings, and implementing corrective actions as necessary
- Working with the EFSSC team on the addition of new country payrolls and the implications of Stock and Option awards to those new employees
- Assist in development and deployment of any new shared service centers as the business grows
- Maintain a current awareness of new or changed laws and regulations to ensure continued compliance, and work with third party providers to document updates to regulatory requirements globally each year
- Work closely with our HR team to develop clear roles and responsibilities around the business processes, information, and controls around that have an impact on the integrity of payroll/stock processing and tax reporting
- Communicate and partner actively with HR, Legal, Finance and other senior management as needed on all payroll and stock matters
- Provide leadership, coaching and guidance to help develop team members and advance their capabilities and careers
- Lead payroll related integration efforts as they come up in Vertex’s fast paced, high growth environment
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in the Business, Finance, or related field
- Stock, Payroll and Multinational experience
- 8+ years of progressive leadership positions within a stock and payroll team , preferably with a multi-state, international employer
- Biotech/pharmaceutical industry experience a plus
- Certified Equity Professional (CEP) and Certified Payroll Professional (CPP); both pluses
- Experience of operating in a business process outsourcing environment is a plus
- Displays excellent interpersonal verbal, written, and presentation skills in communication with external and internal stakeholders at all levels
- Strong customer orientation for our internal partners and company’s employees
- Experience in an environment coordinating and controlling activity across several locations and employee levels
- The ability to influence across diverse cultures and organizational level will be critical in engaging process development and improvement
- Hands-on attitude
- Asks compelling questions and take initiative to identify solutions. Possesses a natural intellectual curiosity and a passion for excellence
- Have a strong appreciation for driving data integrity, process improvement and high quality service leveraging information and technology
- Demonstrated strong project management experience including ability to independently prioritize and track complex, competing schedules; proactively anticipate and complete tasks
- Independent problem-solver and decision-maker; working without significant guidance. Able to identify root causes of issues and develop and implement solutions to resolve issues appropriately.
- Detail oriented with solid organizational and analytical skills
- Experience with industry leading payroll and equity platforms
- Strong computer skills across the MS Office suite
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia.For five years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the company, please visit http://www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: